There are a lot of advertisements online which guarantee that they are effective in driving traffic to your website. However, you can’t really be certain which ones are genuine and which ones are fake.
If you really want to make the best out of search engine optimization (SEO), you have to be knowledgeable about it. Not only that, you also need to be aware about the things you should avoid because there are a lot of SEO tips out there that can mislead you or worse, even jeopardize your business.
Well, here are 5 SEO tips you have to avoid:
1. Avoid hiring a person who promises you a number one search engine ranking. Take note that this is nearly an impossible task so there’s no sure guarantee that you’ll get the number one spot in search engine ranking. Remember that there are a lot of things you can’t control. Sure, you may have a hand over variables essential for the ranking such as keywords, inbound links, and optimizing your website for crawlers but there are still other variables out of your reach. For example, you can never manipulate the strengths of your competitor’s site. You can’t also control inbound links of competing websites and pages. No one can ever assure you of high rankings.
2. Avoid hiring a person who will submit your site to hundreds of search engines and directories. You don’t need to pay someone just to help you get listed on search engines and directories. That is practically bogus! There are already lots of search engines already controlled by Google, Yahoo!, Bing, or Ask and they perform 100% of internet searches. Take note that you can get your website indexed for free if you’re already accessed to the internet and your pages are readily available to visitors.
3. Don’t hide or disguise links. Remember that a search engine looks for keywords in specific areas (title and content). If you list keywords outside of the title or content, or if you hide this from users, you can get penalized for it. Your content could be missed if it is not properly formatted because web crawlers can identify which pages match specific queries.
4. Don’t stuff meta tags just to get higher rankings. Search engines don’t use meta tags in order to determine page ranking. But if you want a more standard description, you can use the description “meta tag” for search engines. Google can easily pick this up.
5. Avoid using link exchanges with unrelated content. Using inbound links from other websites can help you increase your position in the search listings only if you use related content.
As you can see, there are a few things you should avoid doing when you get involved with SEO. Just remember, work for the audience, not the search engines.